Thursday, November 15, 2012

I feel like this is the third time I've gone through the Don Mullan collection.

This week, I was put on actually processing the Bloody Sunday collection. All Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, then, were spent removing files from the binders that Mullan stored them in, labeling them, and copying newspapers. I think I probably spent at least four hours in front of the copier this week - copying newspapers and old, faded faxes. (People, invest in decent paper!)



There is a story there. (Also, this is a bad word! Don't use it! It's sexist!)


Since I spent so much time looking at newspapers, it was interesting to see the contemporaneous stories. Apparently there are many sheep-related crimes.


...see?


No. No she is not. Stop it, John Lennon. This is not okay.


This is okay, though! Keep doing this!


This, too!


Look, I found a friend!


A desiccated Irish spider.


And some mold.


This is a pretty powerful symbol, the bloody handkerchief. It was waved by a priest who was present at Bloody Sunday as he went to give last rites to a fallen seventeen-year-old.


FANCY letterhead.


...apparently the minutes got pretty ridiculous for these meetings. (This is worth reading.)


See?


I do like Yoko Ono, despite that awful song above...


Occupation...what?


NOT Londonderry, thank you very much.


Just in case you were confused, here's a handy diagram about how the power relations in moviemaking works.


And this is a sad note to end things. It's hard to realize that there were women that were my age, 21, and widowed, maybe even with children. These are real people, which sometimes I forget.

See y'all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment